Historical Retail News Compendium
We were doing some housecleaning from 2014 and for historical purposes here is Retail Systems news from 2014.
- Bitcoin writeup from 2013 — imagine buying then…
Here they are
- InComm’s Corporate B2B Store Enables Retailers to Streamline Management of Corporate Gift Card Sales – Retail Automate
PORTLAND, Ore. (Mar. 27, 2014) – InComm, a leading prepaid product and transaction services company, today announced the launch of Corporate B2B Store. The turnkey ecommerce solution helps b
- Mobile POS Growth to surpass 95% Worldwide in 2014 – Mobile Retail TechnologyThe adoption of Mobile devices for POS transactions is exploding worldwide as retailers and consumers alike get more accustomed to retailers asking for payment on mobile devices. According to IHL Group, growth of new Mobile POS device shipments is expected to be over 95% worldwide and will surpass 108% growth in North America in 2014.Continue reading Mobile POS Growth to surpass 95% Worldwide in 2014.
- News from Retail World – Retail AutomateNews – Robotic Yogurt Kiosk, first Bitcoin Vending machine, Coca Cola Digital SignageContinue reading News from Retail World.
- Lowe’s exec: Mobile to shake off outsider status in 2014 – Mobile Retail TechnologyNot surprising that Lowe’s has opted for dedicated mobile site. Catering to those technology groups (smartphone, tablet, desktop) is smart way to go.Continue reading Lowe’s exec: Mobile to shake off outsider status in 2014.
- In-Store Multi-Function Money Services Solutions at NRF Big Show 2014 – Retail AutomateKIOSK Information Systems (KIOSK) will be exhibiting their newest Multifunction Money Services platform at the 2014 NRF Big Show, Booth #4101. The solution provides a holistic approach to self-service with customizable full-feature hardware, software, remote management, and servicesContinue reading In-Store Multi-Function Money Services Solutions at NRF Big Show 2014.
- Surprise: Amazon tests physical retail with ‘Kindle Kiosk’ vending machines – Retail AutomateLAS VEGAS — Amazon, the company that defined the world of online commerce, is venturing further into the world of physical retail — experimenting with standalone, automated “Kindle Kiosk” vending machines in selected airports and shopping malls.
The machines sell everything from the $379 Kindle Fire HDX to a $20 Kindle PowerFast adapter, in addition to Kindle e-readers and covers. Powered by Zoom Systems
- PulseWallet launches innovative, secure, cardless Point-of-Sale solution – Retail AutomateWayne, NJ and Foothill Ranch, CA, January 9, 2014- PulseWallet, the innovative electronic transaction POS provider, will be demonstrating their ultra-secure, first-of-its-kind, cardless Point-of-Sale solution at CES International, January 7-10, 2014 in Las Vegas, N
Continue reading PulseWallet launches innovative, secure, cardless Point-of-Sale solution.
- Mom-and-pop convenience stores in N.J. worried about Pa. chain’s lottery kiosks – Retail AutomateMANTUA TOWNSHIP, N.J. — Wawa Inc.’s recently announced plan to expand availability of automated lottery kiosks in New Jersey has Garden State mom-and-pop convenience retailers worried, reported NJ.com.Continue reading Mom-and-pop convenience stores in N.J. worried about Pa. chain’s lottery kiosks.
- Hype Cycle From Gartner for 2013 – Retail AutomateGartner’s 2013 Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies Maps Out Evolving Relationship Between Humans and MachinesContinue reading Hype Cycle From Gartner for 2013.
- Amid Drone Talk, Amazon Has Real Robots – Retail AutomateAmazon got a lot of ink for its sci-fi drone delivery idea this week, but a more real and immediate robot effort underway in the Seattle retailer’s warehouses could save it as much as $916 million a year, according to one analyst.
Continue reading Amid Drone Talk, Amazon Has Real Robots.
- 100,000 Applebee’s Tables Get Tech Treatment – Retail AutomateThis is the largest deployment of tablets in restaurants yet it would appear.Continue reading 100,000 Applebee’s Tables Get Tech Treatment.
- Big Data – Retail Automate Seen on LinkedIn and “liked”.
Fair to say you can substitute several different words for the phrase “big data” and Omnichannel is one I think of.
- Retail Fraud – Simple But Effective Point-of-Sale Skimmer – Retail AutomateKrebs takes a look at simple but effective skimmer tool being employed on modern POS devices. Krebs also has resource link on “All About Skimmers”. Covered as well is 3D printers and how exact they now work for skimmers.Continue reading Retail Fraud – Simple But Effective Point-of-Sale Skimmer.
- Research : Hispanics shop more online than average Web user and shop earlier in holiday season – In-Store Retail Displays Interactive
Demographics for online – Hispanics shop more online than average Web user and shop earlier in holiday season. Experian Marketing Services’ analysis highlights digitally savviness of Hispanic adults; finds Hispanics are 2x more interested in mobile ads and more responsive to mobile advertising <
- Lowe’s Leverages Mobile Initiatives To Improve Customer Experience – Mobile Retail TechnologyLocations of items within a store much improved (though unverified). Lowes is very much committed to improving the mobile app and their entire web integration though.Continue reading Lowe’s Leverages Mobile Initiatives To Improve Customer Experience.
- Amazon tries two-week mall kiosk experiment – In-Store Retail Displays InteractiveAmazon in retail stores doing experiment with physical store location.Continue reading Amazon tries two-week mall kiosk experiment.
- eBay Experiments with Virtual Digital Storefronts in Malls – In-Store Retail Displays InteractiveThe digital storefront is part repurposed, part custom technology. What consumers see is a large digital image with a touchscreen area showing the products for sale. After customers choose a product, they enter their mobile number (the entered digits are hidden, but the touchpad is fairly visible, so if you’re not careful people around you can see you entering your number), and complete their purchase on their smartphones.<Continue reading eBay Experiments with Virtual Digital Storefronts in Malls.
- Smartphone Based POS Systems are the Smart Choice for Business Owners – Mobile Retail TechnologySmartphone penetration is higher in Canada than in the US. Couple that with Chip & Pin overhead at POS and easy to see mobile POS becoming the next standard (and then in US).Continue reading Smartphone Based POS Systems are the Smart Choice for Business Owners.
- Apple and iBeacon For Improved Store Experience – Mobile Retail TechnologyThe iBeacons will reportedly be used in conjunction with an updated Apple Store app to provide location-based product information to customers. Notifications would then be sent to customers’ mobile devices when they walk near items. At the point of sale, iBeacons would be used to inform customers about workshops, Genius bar appointments and in-store pickups.Continue reading Apple and iBeacon For Improved Store Experience.
- Apple Stores POS Outage – Retail AutomateLast week Apple stores suffered thru POS outage and were reduced to old style credit card machines according to Techcrunch. Similar outage supposedly hit NCR Silver.Continue reading Apple Stores POS Outage.
- Store Environments Designed For Retail Survival – In-Store Retail Displays InteractiveNice article by Ron Bowers – As a company devoted to improving physical store environments and customer experience we embrace the authors’ point that “stores can’t simply be places where products happen to be sold.” Future store configurations will have to be places that promote customer learning and experimentation.Continue reading Store Environments Designed For Retail Survival.
- Top 100 U.S. Retailers Lag When It Comes to Mobile Read more about The Top 100 U.S. Retailers Lag When It Comes to Mobile – Mobile Retail TechnologyTo much talking about mobile, not enough doing something about mobile. Major retailers still can’t seem to get it right, including Apple surprisingly.Continue reading Top 100 U.S. Retailers Lag When It Comes to Mobile Read more about The Top 100 U.S. Retailers Lag When It Comes to Mobile.
- How Home Depot Mastering Multichannel Sell Strategy – In-Store Retail Displays InteractiveHome Depot is acting more like a multichannel retailer and less like a home-improvement warehouse. Plus strategic purchase of BlackLocus and RedBeacon.Continue reading How Home Depot Mastering Multichannel Sell Strategy.
- Can Sears Break The Pattern? – In-Store Retail Displays InteractiveNY Times article discussing Sears Eddie Lampert good and bad. After spending so little on stores the key is new Shop Your Way program (loyalty). Objective – transform Sears Holdings from a company focused on running stores and selling products to a company more focused on serving members.
- Dutch retailer RFS to build 100 mln euro online distribution centre – Retail AutomateNov 4 (Reuters) – Dutch retailer RFS Holland Holding, which owns the wehkamp.nl online store, is to build what it says will be the world’s largest automated online distribution centre, able to deliver 80,000 packages a day.Continue reading Dutch retailer RFS to build 100 mln euro online distribution centre.
- Kohl’s lays groundwork for mobile payments with holiday investments – Mobile Retail TechnologyKohl’s gets serious about mobile marketing in-storeContinue reading Kohl’s lays groundwork for mobile payments with holiday investments.
- Amazon Vs. Wal-Mart: The Physical Vs. Non-Physical Battle – Retail AutomateAnalysis from Seeking Alpha on the battle between Amazon and Wal-MartContinue reading Amazon Vs. Wal-Mart: The Physical Vs. Non-Physical Battle.
- WiFi In-Store Benefits and Numbers – Mobile Retail TechnologyA day afer Casey Carl of Target blog writeup here are some numbers to back up Carl.Continue reading WiFi In-Store Benefits and Numbers.
- Future of Retail – Target Multi-Channel President On Winning Showrooming – Retail AutomateCasey Carl of Target Stores explains how you win at showrooming.Continue reading Future of Retail – Target Multi-Channel President On Winning Showrooming.
- Free webinar – You Can’t Afford to Ignore Cash – Retail AutomateWebinar on Cash in Self-Service and how it is used by your customers.Continue reading Free webinar – You Can’t Afford to Ignore Cash.
- 5 Strategies Retailers Should Pursue to Thrive Through 2025 – Retail AutomateDiscussion of strategies that retailers can take in the future to ensure their success.<Continue reading 5 Strategies Retailers Should Pursue to Thrive Through 2025.
- Research – Retail Automation Market by POS Products – Retail AutomateThe global retail industry is developing at a high growth rate due to many reasons like increasing retailers’ investment in the retail sector, high demand from the customer, increasing population, and so on. Retailers require advanced and developed systems to meet current market needs; such as reducing the operational costs for retail stores, obtaining accurate results during transactions and, fast processing in retailing. Retail automation, with its automated machines, is a solution for meeting all these needs.Continue reading Research – Retail Automation Market by POS Products.
- Do Amazon’s Lockers Help Retailers? Depends on What They Sell – Retail AutomateWith two national retailers, Staples (SPLS) and RadioShack (RSH), pulling the plug on Amazon.com’s (AMZN) Locker program, it’s easy to wonder why either decided to experiment in the first place.Continue reading Do Amazon’s Lockers Help Retailers? Depends on What They Sell.
- GOOGLE IS POISED TO REVOLUTIONIZE CONSUMER RETAIL – Retail AutomateThe rumors have abounded for more than six months: unconfirmed whispers that Googlewill open up its own major chain of consumer retail stores. The company has dipped its toes into the retail waters with Chromebook-focused kiosks in the U.S. and the U.K. over the past few years, with installations inside larger retailers like Best Buy, Dixons, and Currys.<Continue reading GOOGLE IS POISED TO REVOLUTIONIZE CONSUMER RETAIL.
- Google’s BufferBox Expands Its Shipping Kiosk Service For Parcel Pickups To San Francisco – Retail AutomateGoogle acquired Waterloo-based startup BufferBox, which provides hipping locker service to make it easy to get things delivered reliably even when you’re not sure where you’ll be when they’re arriving. The startup built its service on the idea that people never want to see another missed delivery door tag ever again, and began rolling out availability in Toronto, a big consumer market near its HQ last year.<
- Explanation of Bitcoin by Cringely – Retail AutomateWell known glogger takes on the challenge and explaining basis for Bitcoin and his doubts about it.
Continue reading Explanation of Bitcoin by Cringely.
- Staples, RadioShack Yank Amazon Lockers From Stores – Retail AutomateContinue reading Staples, RadioShack Yank Amazon Lockers From Stores.
- Point Of Sale And Payment Processing News From August 2013 – Retail AutomateEach month, Business Solutions collects and sorts through all the relevant channel news so you don’t have to. This month in Point Of Sale And Payment Processing, companies announce new products, new solutions, new collaborations — and the PCI Security Standards Council (PCI SSC) announces a preview of version 3.0 standards changes.
- Latest Scoops on Retail Systems Automate – Retail Automate
- Retail Systems News – Retail Automate
- InComm’s Corporate B2B Store Enables Retailers to Streamline Management of Corporate Gift Card Sales – Retail Automate
- Mobile POS Growth to surpass 95% Worldwide in 2014 – Mobile Retail Technology
- News from Retail World – Retail Automate
- Lowe’s exec: Mobile to shake off outsider status in 2014 – Mobile Retail Technology
- In-Store Multi-Function Money Services Solutions at NRF Big Show 2014 – Retail Automate
- Surprise: Amazon tests physical retail with ‘Kindle Kiosk’ vending machines – Retail Automate
- PulseWallet launches innovative, secure, cardless Point-of-Sale solution – Retail Automate
- Mom-and-pop convenience stores in N.J. worried about Pa. chain’s lottery kiosks – Retail Automate