Nice writeup this month on Nation’s Restaurant News on Doordash and what’s next.
COO Christopher Payne talks commission caps, virtual brands and the potential expansion of its ghost kitchen experiment, DoorDash Kitchens. Nancy Luna | Dec 10, 2020
- Related: Jimmy John’s to use DoorDash’s new Self-Delivery platform
- For the last year DoorDash has been expanding its services to include delivery of convenience-store items and groceries while also working new revenue channels via ghost kitchen operations.
- Given the recent “free fall” comments this has potential — DoorDash launches program to revive closed restaurants using ghost kitchens
- The most recent new service is Self Delivery. It is geared for brands with their own delivery fleets. Restaurants like Jimmy John’s can now leverage DoorDash’s vast marketplace to increase orders. Restaurants pay a fee for marketplace placement, but don’t have to pay a delivery fee.
- DoorDash has added more convenience stores and supermarkets to its platform in addition to providing last-mile delivery for brands such as Walmart, Albertsons and Hy-Vee.